RecipeReview Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies

1/10/2017


Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies ~ source: tammycookblogsbooks

Recently,  I received one of Taste of Home's newest cookbooks, 100 Family Meals. It has several recipes that I made and want to share with you. I will do a review for the 100 Family Meals cookbook separately but I wanted to let you know where I found this yummy cookie recipe. 

When I saw Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies I realized it was like a recipe I had been wanting to look up. My mother-in-law had brought some citrus flavored cookies made from a box to our house. I wanted to try to find a homemade version of those since they tasted so good. Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies looked like a match for those citrus cookies so I gave the recipe a try. It has such a good orange flavor in both the cookie and the icing. I didn't have any oranges so I substituted orange juice in the batter. I was glad I did have some grated orange peel in the freezer for the icing. These are delicious cookies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies  source: tasteofhome.com

Grandma Brubaker's
Orange Cookies
photo & recipe source:
tasteofhome.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
Pinch salt
Juice and grated peel of 2 medium navel oranges
ICING:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon grated orange peel

In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg yolks and buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add alternately with orange juice and peel to creamed mixture. Add egg whites and beat until smooth.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes.

For icing, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost cookies when cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC

tammycookblogsbooks recipe review rating 5/5 

Visit tasteofhome.com to view Grandma Brubaker's Orange Cookies and more on the website.

Taste Of Home Logo
:) Happy To Be A Taste Of Home
Volunteer Field Editor

You Might Also Like

0 Comments