The World Race - Week Eight, Cream Please, Ice Cream, That Is

#1's Cold Beverage
Source: photo by 
tammycookblogsbooks' #1
My daughter is currently on the way or has arrived at destination #3, month #3 of her 11 month, 11 country mission trip with the World
Race. She messaged me while waiting to leave for country #3. We had little to no communication at her last destination. I did know what she & her team were doing thanks to other teammates posting or being able to communicate with their families who shared the info. She has sent an update to church so I hope to be able to share more soon! She put up a blog post for the World Race at the end of February and I was able to get justa hint of what she was experiencing while in country #2.

In the post, she talked mostly about what God revealed to her about a mixed up order from a coffee shop there. She realized she was letting something so small and insignificant ruin her day but it actually served to open her eyes to what God was showing her. One thing she also wrote about was a drink that she enjoyed at the coffee shop. The picture above is actually a smoothie that she had at the airport before leaving for her missions trip. She likes those cold drinks! I had recently created an iced coffee drink (actually two because of a very cold addition to the first one) so her drink in the post peaked my interest.

I enjoy recipes - whether I am reading them in a magazine, cookbook, or somewhere else. I also like to make recipes - whether they are my own creation, someone else's, or a combination of both by modifying them. I have a flip over daily calendar of recipes that I got for Christmas one year. When #1 was home she was diligent to flip the page so the day was correct. Now that she is gone, the calendar is never on the correct date. One day I was putting it to the correct date and I flipped too far ahead. As I was going back I saw a recipe for cinnamon latte on February 4th. This recipe was for a hot coffee but I modified it and made it into an iced coffee, with no cinnamon. Many of us in the house like iced coffee & it turned out good. I thought to myself that I will have to make it when #1 gets home as she really likes iced coffee. She missed out on quite a few culinary creations while she was at college the last four years. When she was home on break I would talk about a recipe and she would realize she had never eaten it. But I decided that I would definitely have to make the iced coffee recipe for her return at the end of the year.

On February 3rd, it was one of her sister's birthday, actually two of her sisters' birthdays but one is at college (not twins, just born on the same day 2 years apart), so I bought ice cream to go with the birthday cake. A week or so later we still had some ice cream left over and I got the thought to put it in my iced coffee creation. Wow, it was so good. It reminded me of an ice cream punch that I had a a church dinner a few years back. And I was going for creating an individual serving of that punch when I added the ice cream to the iced coffee. Now I had two recipes I was pretty sure #1 would like when she got home from her missions trip.

God is so great, still keeping us connected even without talking! The drink my daughter wrote about in her blog post was iced coffee made with ice cream. While #1 was enjoying her ice cream infused iced coffee in country #2, He had me creating an ice cream infused iced coffee at home. Neither of us had any idea about the other enjoying iced coffee with ice cream in it. What are the chances that I would pick 1 of 365 recipes on a calendar & modify it to be something that #1 picked off a menu of many choices at a coffee shop that she really enjoys? How could God not be involved in that process? When my daughter got the wrong order it shook up her familiarity of the known and comfortable. God is taking me on a journey of leaving the known and comfortable. He is actually doing that to all of us, we just have to recognize it and move out of the known, get a little uncomfortable, and move on to where God is taking us, knowing He will be there every step of the way with us. "But God doesn’t call us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesn’t come through." ~ Francis Chan, Crazy Love. In the Bible, Ruth chose to leave her comfort and people and became the grandmother of King David, a part of the lineage of Jesus. Be sure to check out her full story. Ruth 1:16 But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. This is the known when we go into the unknown Psalm 46:1 (ESV) God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 

//The World Race is all about sharing the love of Jesus in many ways, you can learn more here. If you want to learn more about God's love for you and knowing Jesus check out this and this.//

Read more posts about the World Race. 

You Might Also Like

0 Comments