The World Race - Week Four, Moving On With Life


The World Race
The World Race
#1 wrote a great piece for her World Race blog. As soon as I read it I saw the mention, without names, of her dad and
me (mostly me, actually). After reading her bIog I sent her a message saying that I never said she needs to "suck it up". I am not a coddling mother but I will tell you that those three words never came out of my mouth. I did say "you have to move on with life". You see among other issues, #1 struggles with a headache 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This headache can make her what appears to be anything but happy most days.

I personally have been there and done that headache thing. From 1986 until 2003 I had a headache that also was 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I couldn't wait to go to sleep & I never wanted to wake up because sleep meant no pain coming from my head. At times it was hard to block out the pain and enjoy whatever was going on at that moment. I am pretty sure I have a good idea of what she is going through. Apparently she doesn't think so. I told her that if I let the pain control my life entirely I probably wouldn't have had children for one thing. A constant throbbing headache & a screaming newborn are like oil and water, they don't mix well. I had to choose to keep on living the life that I wanted because the headaches had the ability hold me back and control my life. I am not saying that those stupid headaches never kept me from doing things but I tried my hardest not to let them. I was hoping to be able to help her see that it is possible to enjoy life through the pain. So far, all she has seen is red, mostly when looking at me.

The beginning of the answer to my prayer for my headaches to go away came right before #5 was born. I was at my wits end. I really didn't know how I was going to be able to care for 5 children, one being a needy infant, and cope with my 24/7 headaches.  My headaches were believed to be caused by a TMJ disorder. One option was to get braces on to align my jaw. The orthodontist said that I had a 75% chance that braces could help with my head pain. It was not 100% but it was high enough chance of success that I decided to get braces put on. About 2 months after #5 was born we paid cash on the barrel (it wasn't covered by our insurance) & I was a 35 year old with a mouth full of metal. I didn't mind one bit because the very day I got the braces on is the day that the headaches stopped. Totally. Stopped. Probably also totally unheard of. I remember sitting there thinking that something felt different but I didn't know what. Then it hit me - my head was not hurting! The Bible says that God will not give us more than we can handle. In 2003 I must have been at my breaking point when God healed me from my headaches with the use of metal, glue, wires, and a sometimes very rough orthodontic assistant that scared me.

I believe that one day God will heal #1 from the constant pain in her head. I know that I have prayed for healiing whether it is through God just taking it away or using whatever He sees fit. We have taken her to several types of doctors and none can discover a reason for the headaches. I have read countless articles about causes and relief from headaches looking for an answer. I have done all I can do. Over the years I have actively been doing things to help eliminate #1's headaches. With her overseas I actually can do very little. I physically cannot take her anywhere or do anything for or with her. But I know what I need to do - take my own advice and move on with life by not moving but being still, praying, and quietly waiting for God to do what only He can do and heal her.

“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. . . The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord” (Lamentations 3:22-23, 25-26).

The World Race is all about sharing the love of Jesus in many ways, you can learn more here. If you want to learn more about God's love for you and knowing Jesus check out this and this.

Read more posts about the World Race. 

You Might Also Like

0 Comments