BookReview/RecipeReview Gather Around The Amish Table by Lucy Leid


BookReview/RecipeReview Gather Around The Amish Table by Lucy Leid
   Gather Around The Amish Table
     Read Publisher's Description
Lucy Leid subscribes to the Die Botschaft, one of the newspapers written by Plain people. She herself is an Old Order Mennonite. She asked readers of the newspaper to
send her recipes, this cookbook is a compilation of some she received.

All of the recipes do not have pictures, in fact some the pictures are not food, but depictions of Amish living. The recipes are written clearly and are easy to understand. The cookbook is divided into ten chapters - Breakfast, Meats & Main Dishes, and Cookies, name a few. With the exception of Thermo-Flo or Clear Jel, thickening agents like cornstarch, most ingredients would be easily found at a grocery store.

I do not like making fancy food so I enjoyed this cookbook. Some recipes I know and make already. I found quite a few that I want to try. I was looking for a soft pretzel recipe. I tried one in this cookbook and I am happy with the results. The recipe is below. Several of the recipes have a personal anecdote along with them. I got a good feel for life in Plain communities as I read through the sometimes funny stories. I would recommend this cookbook for those interested in the Amish way of life or someone looking for simple, good recipes to make. I received a free copy of this book from Litfuse in exchange for my honest review.

tammycookblogsbooks book rating 5/5 

RecipeReview
RecipeReview Favorite Soft PretzelsGather Around The Amish Table by Lucy Leid
     Favorite Soft Pretzels
 Source: tammycookblogsbooks
Like I said above, I have been looking for a good soft pretzel recipe. I decided to try one of the two in this cookbook. The recipe says to bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on these since the oven temp is high. I let them go the full 12 minutes and burnt the bottoms slightly. Even burnt they are good. We used them as buns for our hot dogs for lunch - yum! Also they are good as just a regular soft pretzel. 

Favorite Soft Pretzels
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
coarse salt
butter, melted 

Dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand 5 minutes. Add salt, brown sugar, and flour. Mix and knead until a soft dough is formed. Shape into pretzels. Combine baking soda and water. Dip each pretzel in baking soda solution. Place on a greased baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake at 475 degrees F for 10 - 12 minutes. Brush with melted butter.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments