BookReview A Simple Christmas Wish by Melody Carlson


I recently discovered three Christmas books that I never posted here, although they have been posted elsewhere. A Simple Christmas Wish by Melody Carson, The Dawn of Christmas by Cindy Woodsmall , and Twice Loved by Wanda Brunstetter will help us celebrate Christmas in July this year.

BookReview A Simple Christmas Wish by Melody Carlson
Read
Publisher's Description
When Englishers Michael and Miri Mulligan died, their will stated that Holly, their 6 year old daughter, was to live with Miri’s Amish relatives in Ohio. This came as a surprise to Rachel, Michael’s sister, who didn’t even know about these relatives. She was even more taken aback because she thought she would be Holly’s guardian. This part was unbelievable to me. Michael was a lawyer. I think that he of all people would have his will up to date.

The Mulligan’s will read that Lydia Schrock, Miri’s estranged sister, was to have custody of Holly. Lydia really struggled with Holly and her English ways invading her house. If I were Rachel it would have been hard for me to hold my tongue with Lydia. She expected Holly to instantly become Amish. 

Rachel struggled with leaving Holly in Ohio without her and Holly not getting the Christmas she was used to having. Rachel did find an ally in Benjamin, Miri and Lydia’s brother. She was also surprised to be attracted to him since he was Amish. In the end, Lydia and Rachel both realized they needed to demonstrate unselfish love to ensure that Holly got the happy life her parents would have wanted for her.

I always enjoy Amish Christmas stories. I did like this novella but I think it would have been better as a full length novel. Everything just happened too easily, which is because of it being a novella. For example, Rachel and Holly got through the grieving process too quickly to be realistic. But situations can’t be drawn out, there aren’t enough pages in a novella. Rachel didn’t really fight enough to keep Holly when she had to leave her with the new found relatives. Overall, I did enjoy it and would recommend it as a good story to read around the Christmas holiday.

I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

tammycookblogsbooks book rating 4.5/5 

Do you only read Christmas books during the Christmas season? Leave a comment below and let us know.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments