MixingItUp Forget buying Mums every year, Use the perennial Sedum

MixingItUp Forget buying Mums every year,  Use the perennial Sedum - Mums Image
Mums
MixingItUp Forget buying Mums every year,  Use the perennial Sedum - Sedum Image
Sedums
You never know what you will find here on MixingItUp. Today I an idea for fall flowers. I have never been able to keep Mums from year to year. My mom came up
with a great idea of using Sedums in place of Mums for a pretty fall plant. My Sedums start to grow in the spring. They start off like the picture below. They eventually get flowers, like the above right photo. As the seasons progress into fall, the flowers end up displaying different hues. This will be a post in progress as I add pictures of the Sedums changing throughout the year.

Here's what my mom shared with me. Put the Sedums in a planter. They grow just as they would in the ground. The planter looks pretty placed on the porch, steps or where ever you like. When it's time to cut down all your other plants for the winter, cut the Sedums back also. Here is the best part for me. Set the planter where you store your spring planting items and forget about it until early Spring arrives.

I did this for the first time last year. I actually planted the Sedums in a planter in the fall. I cut them back when it was time and placed them in my garage. I didn't think about them until the weather turned warm. In early spring, I put the planters outside of the garage and began watering regularly, like any other plant.

Here is a picture of my Sedums taken on 5/30/15. 

MixingItUp Forget buying Mums every year,  Use the perennial Sedum
Sedums on 5/30/15
Source: tammycookblogsbooks

You Might Also Like

0 Comments