BookReview The Authentic Amish Cookbook by Norman and Marlena Miller

Read
Publisher's Description


What a recipe collection. This cookbook has more than 450 recipes from the Amish Community of Evart, Michigan. It offers recipes for Appetizers, Beverages, Desserts, Breads, Main Dishes, Soups, and Salads. There is even a Health Food section with recipes using ingredients that are better for you. This something I didn’t expect in this cookbook. You could cook exclusively with recipes from this cookbook for a long time.

At the beginning of each section
there is a hymn and an inspiring quote or Bible verse. I was surprised to see quotes by Buddha and Theodore Roosevelt included. With “Authentic Amish” being in the title I expected to see only quotes that were from the Amish. Each chapter has a picture that is used throughout the entire chapter. I think there should be different pictures used throughout a chapter.

Most of the items needed for these recipes would be on hand. A few use carob powder and wheat gluten, which you probably don’t have in your pantry. There are also recipes that use Perma-Flo and Therma-Flo. The authors give information as to where to purchase these items. I looked them up and discovered they are thickening agents as I thought. None of the recipes look difficult or time consuming to make. These are the type that I enjoy creating for my family. The end of this cookbook offers some great tips and hints for cooking, cleaning, and sewing. Also including is the amounts to serve lot people and recipe ingredient equivalents. There are more than a two dozen recipes that are repeats. While some are the pretty much the same recipe, others are variations. This was more in the beginning and had me hoping it wouldn’t be like that throughout the whole book, which it wasn’t.

I read this cookbook in eBook form. I received an advanced readers copy and I couldn’t see all the contents correctly. I am sure this is all due to cookbook I read being an uncorrected copy and not the final version. I looked at a sample of the book online and it looked good.

I can’t have too many cookbooks. Several Amish Cookbooks are included in my collection. I found many recipes that aren’t in every Amish cookbook out there. Have you heard of Oregon Chai’ or how to make Muenster cheese? These recipes are in The Authentic Amish Cookbook.

Overall, this is a good cookbook. I saw several recipes that I would like to make. The one thing I didn’t care for was the quotes not being exclusively Amish proverbs or sayings. I would recommend The Authentic Amish Cookbook if you are looking for simple recipes that are easy to make and turn out delicious.

tammycookblogsbooks book rating 5/5
I received a free copy of this book from the 
publisher in exchange for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments