BookReview Harvest of Blessings by Charlotte Hubbard

BookReview Harvest of Blessings by Charlotte Hubbard
Read
Publisher's Description
Harvest of Blessings  is the fifth book in Charlotte Hubbard’s Seasons of the Heart Series. This is the first time I have read anything by this author. The cover is so colorful that it caught my attention. They are very few Amish Fiction authors that I do not like so I expected to enjoy reading Harvest of Blessings. Initially, I did not know it is part of a series, but there is enough backstory given that I knew what was going on without having read the previous books.

The story takes place in the Plain communities of Willow Creek, Missouri and the surrounding areas during the modern era. The scenes mostly occur in a mill, restaurant, and craft shop. I found it interesting how the author described all the various crafts and handiwork of the characters. It was easy to envision what is written about on the pages. Nora’s purpose of returning to Willow Creek was to restore family relationships that were lost. Restoration, love, and forgiveness are the themes of this story.

Harvest of Blessings starts out with a lot of characters. If I hadn’t written them down as I read, I would have had to reread pages to see who they were. After all the characters are initially introduced the story slows down to a good pace. The main story is about Nora. She returned to the Amish community she left 16 years before to re-establish relationships that were severed. She was seeking forgiveness. I really liked her and wanted her to be happy as I read through the book. There are three secondary characters in the story; Miriam, Millie, and Luke. The first two were just as likable as Nora. All of the characters could be people that exist in real life.

This book is filled with dialogue. The scene descriptions are so good I felt like I was there in Willow Creek. I think there is a good balance of both scene and dialogue but the dialogue is what keeps the story going. A few characters have thoughts and use language that I feel should not be in a Christian novel. I understand that they are meant to be portrayed a certain way but the innuendos they use do not have a place in this genre. There are a few parts where the romance is sweet but there is such an age different between the couple that it doesn’t seem right. I was not hit with any plot twists or surprises. I knew from the beginning what I thought was going to happen. And I still enjoyed reading the story, except for the innuendos previously mentioned.

Harvest of Blessings is about forgiveness that is based on what the Bible says about the subject. There are characters that decide to give their lives to God because they want to follow His ways. They were led by the Holy Spirit. All this is not done in a preachy way. It is shown by the characters living out their lives and realizing that they need God more than whatever else it is they are chasing. Charlotte Hubbard did surprise me with the thoughts and language of two characters in the story. I feel they will be found offensive by some readers. I would not pass along this book to my mother-in-law or my children. I am hoping the other books in the series do not also contain the same type of material, so that I can someday read, enjoy, and recommend them.

tammycookblogsbooks Book Rating 4/5
I received a free copy of this book from the 
publisher in exchange for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments