BookReview An Amish Cradle by Thomas Nelson Publishers

BookReview An Amish Cradle by Thomas Nelson Publishers
An Amish Cradle contains four different stories from four different authors. All of the authors happen to be some of my favorite Amish Fiction writers so I knew I wouldn’t be able to put the book down. I have read several of Thomas Nelson’s books that are a collection of Amish novellas that are like An Amish Cradle. An Amish Wedding, An Amish Christmas, An Amish Garden, to name a few. An Amish Cradle was just as enjoyable as all the others I have read, as I expected it to be.
Each novella deals with a couple’s pregnancy, birth, and life after their baby or babies is born. I liked that the stories dealt with mothers from all stages of life. None of the mothers are without issues. Each one has a problem that she must take to God and let him resolve it. But just like us they have to go through a learning process and trust God and his timing. I also enjoyed getting see the husband’s point of view in the stories.

I think that there is at least one a story any reader will be able to relate to in one way or another. I personally related to An Unexpected Blessing in a few different ways. First, I am about Etta’s age and I could not imagine having a child when I was 42 years old. Also, when I had our last daughter I was 35, and was considered “older” by the doctors. She too was a surprise. I could also relate to Carolyn in A Son for Always. I was the child from a teen pregnancy though, not a mother. But now that I am a mother, I see how my own mother as a single parent did what she had to do to provide for her family.

Even though these are short stories and it is sometimes hard to fully develop the characters, I came to know and care each of them. There are also a few twists that I didn’t expect. In His Father’s Arms Ruth Anne finds out that her baby’s medically expenses are being paid in full by an anonymous donor. The surprise is who is giving the money and the reason for it. In A Heart Full of Love the reader thinks that Ellie’s mother is just a control freak but discovers there is a heart breaking reason behind all her meddling.

Each novella is a quick read but you will have a hard time reading only one. The stories are a little out of the norm for Amish Fiction since they deal the issues of Down’s syndrome, an unwed teenage mother, a blind character, and a midlife baby. While their lives are not perfect, they do get their happy endings. There is so much to be taken from this novella collection. There is pain, grief, joy, love, fear and anger in each of these stories. I felt all of these, along with the characters, all as I read through the pages. Fans of happy endings and Amish fiction with enjoy the collection of stories in An Amish Cradle. 

tammycookblogsbooks book rating 5/5

Reviewed Novella Collections by Thomas Nelson
An Amish Christmas
An Amish Cradle
An Amish Garden
An Amish Kitchen
An Amish Miracle
An Amish Wedding


I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments