BookReview The Homestead Brides Collection by Barbour Press

BookReview The Homestead Brides Collection by Barbour Press
Stories set in the 1800s and early 1900s are interesting to me, which I why I choose to read The Homestead Brides Collection. Having read and enjoyed A Log Cabin Christmas Collection and The Pioneer Christmas Collection by the same publisher, I was sure I would also like their collection of stories about homesteading. The Homesteads Brides Collection has 9 novellas written by 9 different authors. I have
never read anything written by these authors before. The authors are: Mary Connealy, DiAnn Mills, Erica Vetsch, Kathleen Y’Barbo, Darlene Franklin, Carla Olson Gade, Ruth Logan Herne, Pam Hillman and Becca Whitham.

Set in the late 1800s, every story is unique to its heroine and location. Each woman is on a journey of making a better life for herself in the unsettled areas of the United States and somehow ends up becoming a bride. Since these are novellas, it is often hard to develop the storyline and character before the story comes to an end. Overall, somehow the authors found a way for me to get to know the characters and care for them. There is good detail given about what is going on in the area at the time and how they went about their day to survive. I could feel the struggles the characters went through trying to carve out a life and place to live and also to “Prove Up”  and receive the land from the government.

I think my favorite stories were A Palace on the Plains and The Bogus Bride of Creed Creek. In A Palace on the Plains I could feel the romantic tension between the characters as I read. The Bogus Bride of Creed Creek had a few twists that made it interesting. My least favorite story was Priceless Pearl. The characters didn’t grab my interest like the other stories did. The story was also very slow moving for me.

Each novella is very easy to read, one could be read in a short amount of time. I wanted to keep reading through the whole book though without stopping, which wasn’t possible. The historical facts about the time period and location make the novellas enjoyable to read. All the stories are clean and had me anxiously waiting for the characters to admit their love and get married. Novellas are often happy endings and quite predictable, which is expected with their short length. Life was hard during the late 1800s but hope triumphed over despair in each story. I wasn’t disappointed when each novella ended happily with the marriage of its heroine. Fans of Inspirational Romance and/or Historical Fiction will enjoy this great collection.


tammycookblogsbooks book rating 4/5

Novella collections by Barbour Press 
A Log Cabin Christmas Collection- read my review here
A Pioneer Christmas Collection- read my review here 

The Homestead Brides Collection- read my review here     

I received a free copy of this book from Barbour Press and The Christian Manifesto in exchange for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments