Minding Molly by Leslie Gould

This review gives more insight than just "it was/wasn't a good book" or "this is/isn't a must read". While I try not to give too much away, sometimes it's difficult to write about the story and have it not be revealing.    

Twenty-two year old Molly Zook has always taken matters into her own hands. After her father’s recent death, she is determined that her family will not lose their farm near Paradise, Pennsylvania. But selling nursery stock and flowers doesn’t seem to be enough to keep them afloat. While Molly is looking for ways to make more money, her mother comes up with what she believes is the best plan of all – marry next door neighbor Mervin Mosier and join their properties. Molly can’t see how she can marry someone she doesn’t love and there is also the issue of the new comer Leon Fisher that has caught her eye. Leon is working at her best friend Hannahs’s family farm training horses. At their first meeting Leon and Molly are attracted to each other. But it seems he also has an attraction to Hannah.

Throughout the story, Molly really struggles with controlling her own life along with everyone else’s around her. She thinks that her way is the only right way to do things. She seems to be constantly thinking that others can’t do things as well as she does. This made her a very unlikable character for me. I looked forward to reading this story since it’s the next in a series and I really enjoyed reading the first two books, Courting Cate and Adoring Addie. But I didn’t find myself rooting for Molly as I read through the story. Instead I found myself annoyed at her always criticizing others. She tries to stop being so controlling but it doesn’t always appear to be a full-hearted effort.

In her defense, I will say that Molly does have a lot going on in her life. She is still struggling with her father’s death and now her mother is suffering from a health issue. Molly knows that marrying Mervin would bring her family the money it needs. She also knows that she is attracted to Leon. She has a lot of choices to make. The biggest one is letting God take care of everything, which we all know is harder than it sounds.

Minding Molly is the third book in Leslie Gould’s trilogy Courtships of Lancaster County. It can be read as a standalone novel. It is based on Shakespeare’s A Midsummer’s Night Dream. I have never read this play so I can’t say how much the story is like it. Minding Molly is told in the first person. I think Leslie Gould has done a good job of writing in the first person with all the books in this series. Normally I don’t care to read a story that is in first person. The fun part of trilogies or a series of books is getting caught up with characters from previous books. I was disappointed that there was very little mention of Addie from Adoring Addie. Cate from Courting Cate had a part in Minding Molly but for me it was not a satisfying end to her story. Minding Molly is definitely my least favorite book in the series.

I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers and The Christian Manifesto in exchange for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments