Recipes Across America by Taste of Home with Kool Aid Pickles Recipe and Review

If you like learning about the cuisine from different regions in America, you'll enjoy this cookbook. It has well-known recipes plus ones that are known locally to the Northeast, South, Midwest, Southwest and the West.

The five regions each have about 100 pages that include recipes, pictures and more. You will read about Main Dishes, Sides & More, and Sweets from each region. You will also learn some facts and trivia as you go through the recipes. There are many items of interest such as discovering the number one producer of sweet potatoes is North Carolina, the Flan dates back to Roman times, and Kettle Corn was first referenced in the late 18th century in papers from Dutch settlers in Pennsylvania. Several of the recipes have pictures and scattered throughout are also photos relating to each specific region.

What I enjoyed about this cookbook was learning what dishes each region is known for making popular. There are many recipes that I never heard of before, which makes this book even more interesting to me. While I haven't tried making all 735 recipes in this book, I know that Taste of Home can be trusted for recipes that produce quality results.

From reading Recipes Across America I learned that a favorite treat among schoolkids living in the Mississippi Delta is Kool-Aid Pickles. I thought they sounded interesting, so I gave them a try. I used the Kool-Aid flavor of tropical punch. The pickles had a sweet and sour flavor but not any trace of the tropical punch flavor. They did take on a blue color, which was fun to me. My husband, 3 of the kids and myself liked these a lot.

tammycookblogsbooks.blogspot.com
 Kool-Aid Pickles

1 (32 ounce) jar whole dill pickles, undrained
2/3 cup sugar
1 envelope Kool-Aid mix, flavor of your choice

Drain pickles, reserving juice. In a small bowl, combine the reserved juice, sugar, and Kool-aid, stirring until sugar is dissolved. set aside

Slice pickles, return to jar. Pour juice mixture over pickles. Discard any remaining juice. cover and refrigerate 1 week before serving. Yield: 3 cups.

Visit tasteofhome.com to view this recipe and more!

:) Happy to be a Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor 
I received a free copy of this book from Reiman Publications and FSBMedia in exchange for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments