Make Your Own Ring Around The Collar Stain Remover

4/05/2013


BEFORE

AFTER
I was talking to a friend about stains on clothes and she told me to check out http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com. After going to her awesome website I was inspired to create a recipe for removing ring around the collar. 

If you look near where the collar is sewn to the shirt in the BEFORE picture you can see the stain, which actually goes all the way around the collar. The picture doesn't do the stain justice, it was bad! In the AFTER picture you can see it is totally gone. This is the same shirt even though the color doesn't look the same. It must be from the picture being taken at different times of the day when the light is coming through the window differently.

I used a toothbrush to rub the stain remover into the shirts where the stains were. I let the shirts sit in a laundry basket over night the first time before I washed them in my homemade laundry detergent. The first time I washed the shirts I was amazed to see that the stains were gone. I don't dry my clothes in the dryer so I don't know if this makes a difference or not. In the past ten months I've only had to use the stain remover on the shirt collars three times. I also add a two seconds count pour of ammonia to every wash load, this may also help to keep the stains away. I didn't test it so I'm not sure. I used the Great Value version of Dawn.

Ring Around The Collar Stain Remover

1/2 cup Dawn-type dish detergent
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

Mix ingredients together in a tightly sealing storage container. Rub the stain remover into the ring around the collar stain with a toothbrush. Let it sit on the clothing for a few hours to overnight. Launder clothes as usual.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments