A Plain Scandal by Amanda Flower

4/22/2013

Englisher Chloe Humphrey was determined to discover who was committing crimes against the Amish in Appleseed Creek. She had several friends in the Amish community and wanted to help. Someone was cutting off beards of Amish men and hair off the Amish women. 

Chloe worked at the local college in the computer department. But during her free time she played amateur detective, finding clues to the recent crime spree. She had the help of her friends, Ex-Amish brother and sister, Becky and Timothy. These three main characters were introduced in the beginning, and then the characters kept coming. In the beginning I had a little trouble keeping everyone straight. It was also hard to tell at first, who was Amish, Mennonite, or English. I didn’t read A Plain Death, the first book in this series, which may have helped with my confusion.

I was about three quarters of the way finished and I still couldn’t figure out who committed the crimes. I was surprised to discover the culprit although I did figure out part of the mystery. This is a fast moving story, beginning to end. I read it in a day. I look forward to reading the next book in this series. I may even read the first book to see all the goings on from it that are mentioned in A Plain Scandal.

Other story lines that were interconnected to each other were happening while Chloe was looking for the perpetrator. This is what made it hard to figure out who was committing the crimes. Just when I thought it was one person, I began to question if it might be someone else. Amanda did a good job of keeping me guessing. One unbelievable part of the story was that the police told Chloe details of the crimes. I don’t see that really happening. Overall, I enjoyed reading the story. It kept my interest more than enough to get through it one day and want to read the rest of the books in the series.

Appleseed Creek Mystery Series
A Plain Death
A Plain Scandal
A Plain Disappearance (to be released in September 2013)

I received a free copy of this book from the Christian Manifesto and B & H Publishing in exchange for my honest review

You Might Also Like

0 Comments