Baked Monte Cristo

3/29/2013

tammycookblogsbooks.blogspot.com
Even though I enjoy cooking, I'm always looking for the easiest way to do it. This recipe is an example. I never had a Monte Cristo Sandwich until about 6 years ago. I really liked it so I started making them for my family. I was always disappointed when I made them on the stove like French Toast. They never seemed to fully cook on the inside. Then I realized that I could make them in the oven like a breakfast casserole dish. I gave it a try and now I now longer have soggy Monte Cristos!

Baked Monte Cristo
24 slices bread
24 slices deli ham
12 slices swiss cheese
8 eggs
2 tablespoons mustard
1 cup milk
powdered sugar, optional
strawberry jam, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place 12 slices of bread in a greased jelly roll pan. Top each slice of bread with 2 slices of ham, 1 slice of cheese, ending with another slice of bread. Beat eggs in a bowl; mix in mustard and milk. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, making sure to cover each piece. Bake for 30 minutes or until the egg mixture is set. These are good dusted with powdered sugar and served with strawberry jam. Make 12 sandwiches.

You can easily divide this recipe to meet your serving size. You can also substitute other meats and cheeses for a different taste.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments