Make Your Own Yogurt In A Crockpot

2/15/2013

You really can make homemade yogurt. You'll be surprised how easy it is to make in a crockpot. I started out small, just in case it didn't turn out - like the first time I tried to make it. I bought the wrong kind of yogurt, which must not have had active cultures - make sure you buy a yogurt with active cultures, it will say it on the package. For my first attempt after the whole crockpot cooking business I still just had milk -with a yogurt flavor, of course :) I made bread with so it didn't go to waste. The bread turned out good, the yogurt not so much.

The following recipe turned out great - it has the consistency of a Swiss style yogurt, which is not thick. I read that using whole milk causes it to be thicker. Remember that this is plain yogurt so you'll need to add to it to get it the flavor you want. I added some raspberry pie filling and a little sugar to mine and the kids said was like eating Swiss Style Raspberry Yogurt.

tammycookblogsbooks.blogspot.com

Homemade Yogurt 

4 cups skim milk
1 container of Oikos Greek Plain Yogurt (5.3 ounces) or yogurt starter
  • Pour milk into a large crockpot, cover and turn on low. Cook for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
  • Turn off the crockpot and unplug it. Let it sit on your counter top for 3 hours with the lid still on.
  • Add 1 cup of the milk from the crockpot to a small mixing bowl. Whisk the whole container of yogurt into to milk.
  • Add the whisked contents of the bowl to the crockpot.  Now whisk the crockpot contents all together. Replace the crockpot lid.
  • Wrap the crockpot with a large towel. Let it sit for 8 to 12 hours on your countertop while it turns into yogurt.
  • Place the yogurt into sealed containers and refrigerate. 
  • Eat plain or add to it as you like.
Be sure to save 1 cup yogurt from your first batch so you have a starter to replace the store bought yogurt when you make it again. 5.3 ounces is between 1/2 cup (4 ounces) and 3/4 cup (6 ounces). I read it can be frozen so that's what I'm trying. I'm happy with the results of this recipe but I'll be trying different types of milk to see how it turns out. I'll also work on adding different ingredients for flavoring.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments