Leaving Lancaster by Kate Lloyd

Widow Esther Fisher hadn't seen her mother, Anna Gingerich, for more than thirty years. Esther left her Amish community in her twenties and never returned. She didn't even tell her daughter, Holly, that she was Amish. After receiving a letter from Anna saying she was sick, Esther decided it was time to finally visit her mother. First, she had to tell Holly that she had family in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Esther never spoke of her own brothers and their families and had told Holly that her grandparents were no longer living.

Holly had issues of her own from growing up fatherless, a broken engagement, and a complicated relationship with her mother. More than anything, Holly wanted a family beyond herself and her mother. She longed to learn more about her father, Samuel, who died in Vietnam before she was born. Finding out that her mother had lied was shocking for Holly. After she got over her anger, she decided to go to Lancaster with her mother and meet the family she never even knew existed.

This story is about Esther mending old relationships while Holly was forming new relationships with her Amish family and their neighbors. When I started reading this story I was contemplating not finishing it. The author switched between the point of view of Holly and Esther and wrote in the first person, all of which made it hard to read. The interactions between Esther and Holly were anything but mature. I thought I was reading about two teenagers, not a 37 year old and her mother. I did finish reading Leaving Lancaster and discovered a story of love and forgiveness. There was a little romance also. The forgiveness scene near the end was the well written. Overall, the immaturity of the characters made it hard for me to enjoy this story.

I received a free copy of this ebook from NetGalley and David C. Cook in exchange for my honest opinion.

You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found the changing point of view distracting, and the characters not especially likeable! This had real potential, but just didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete