BOOK REVIEW Treasured Amish and Mennonite Recipes from the Mennonite Central Committee

2/11/2012

This book begins with an explanation of the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) and how this book came to be. There is also a brief history of the Amish and Mennonites.

This cookbook contains 627 recipes. The recipes are organized by category, such as, Main dishes and Casseroles, Traditional Classics, and Desserts and Sweets. There are even chapters titled Grandma's Remedies and Soap Making. The recipes are simple. All the items needed for them would be in your pantry or found easily at the grocery store. There are no complicated instructions, they are short and sweet.

There are pictures, sayings, and tips scattered throughout the chapters. The pages have a burgundy plaid checkered border at the top.

The beginning of the book with the history of the MCC and of the Amish and the Mennonites is very interesting. I'm sure many people have not heard of the MCC, including myself, until I read A Stranger's Gift by Anna Schmidt recently. The photographs in this book are wonderful. You won't be wanting for a recipe in this book with it's 600+ recipes to choose from. The design of the book would be appealing to those who lean toward the quaint country decorating style. A person who collects cookbooks would enjoy this as a gift. I did my review reading an e-book. I liked the book so much, I'm got the printed version of the book because I collect cookbooks. If you like cook simple but delicious food this cookbook is for you.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments