BOOK REVIEW Handmade Chic: Fashionable Projects That Look High-End, Not Homespun by Laura Bennett

2/02/2012

This book has 40 projects to tackle. The author describes them as "upscale, chic, and urbane". She is right. This is not weaving potholders. On the other hand, all the projects can be done with little difficulty, especially if one has any experience with sewing. The author uses leather to make her projects but she lets the reader know they can be done with denim, canvas, corduroy, or felt.

There is great detail on how to do the projects. Sewing terminology is explained well. There is a list of materials and tools needed for each project. Illustrations and patterns are provided. The author lets the reader know that all the materials for each project can be found online. This is helpful since she said most of the hardware can't be found in craft stores.

The projects are divided into 4 categories:

small luxuries- examples would be a business card holder , a key ring tab, and belts

fashionably organized - examples would be a book cover, various laptop holders, and ipad & kindle covers

bags and wallets  - examples would be a shopping tote, a man's billfold, and a day clutch

evening extravagances - examples would be embellished shoes, a pullover, and furry slippers

When I skimmed through this book I thought that it looked too fancy. As I read it, I realized I could make any of these projects. I could use whatever material I wanted and even modify the projects. For example, I could replace the hardware with Velcro, buttons, or snaps. The author makes the reader comfortable with their own approach to the project. I would recommend this book to anyone who is satisfied when they complete a project. This book will get you from step one to the last step with ease.

I received a free copy of this e-book from NetGalley for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. You can also get ideas and examples about handmade clutches at blingvogue.com which is a very renowned web store for selling of handmade evening bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete