BookReview i before e (except after c) for kids by Susan Randal

11/15/2011

BookReview i before e (except after c)  for kids by Susan Randal
This fun book is designed to help you remember facts in three main ways: Acronyms, Acrostics and Rhymes. Acronyms are made by taking the first letter(s) from a series of words. For example, Public Broadcasting System becomes PBS. Acrostics are made by using the first letter of what you need to remember and making a sentence out of it. For example, the common acrostic for learning the names of the notes on the lines of the treble clef (E G B D F) is Every Good Boy Does Fine. Rhymes are used to help get the information stuck in your head. For example, if you need to remember a list of names put it tune of a familiar song like "Row, Row, Row, Your Boat."

Parents, children and teachers will love this book. If you are a hands-on parent you will be able to really help your child in school using the tips and examples from this book. As I read through, I learned facts that I didn't know. The book shows how to remember the first astronauts who walked on the moon. It says it's as easy as remembering your ABC's. A is for Neil Armstrong, B is for Buzz Aldrin and C is for Michael Collins. I didn't know that Michael Collins was on that list.

Children who like to soak up facts will be able to use this book to get more knowledge in their brains. I could see a child who doesn't care for school enjoying this book because it makes learning facts fun. Students who could care less about the order the Confederate states seceded from the Union will be able to memorize them anyway. The states are South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina and Tennessee. The book suggests to use a fun, silly acrostic sentence like So My Friend Ate Giant Lizards Tuesday; Vomited All Night Tuesday.

Teachers will like all the subjects this book covers. There are chapters on History, Reading and Writing, Music, Math, Days & Nights and Earth. Teachers already use some of the tricks in this book, I remember a few of them from when I was a child. Like the way to remember how many days are in each month:

Thirty days hath September,
April, June, and November;
All the rest have thirty-one
Except for February, which has twenty-eight.

This book is a welcome addition to my library. I look forward to using it to help my children learn facts for school. I didn't realize how easy and fun it is to memorize when using acronyms, acrostics and rhymes.

I received a free copy of this Reader's Digest book from FSB Media for my honest review.

You Might Also Like

0 Comments